Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sipping Gin and Juice


Here's a story about music in the land of repitition!

Everytime I get into my car, I do the following: Adjust thy hoodie, fasten seatbelt, apply sunglasses, lean back and head pop- just like my friend Lindsay!

Now usually I'd have to say I was never into the whole 'gangsta' way of driving but in the US it's kind of fun. Tuning into the sterio and saying Good Morning Vietnam to HOT 99.5 Washington DC's hottest music I can safely sing the lyrics to every pop song off the market! Why? Because they play the same songs day in and day out. Forget thinking that 5fm overplays your favourite banging hit- in fact I miss waking up to Gareth being anal and offensive!

Now if you're anything like me with my music, you're going to switch between two or three radio stations depending on your mood. Back home I often bounce between 5, for when I'm feeling frisky and Kfm, when I'm in an 'emo/ Dutch' state of mind. (no idea what that means) Anyway point being I now found myself bouncing between commercial pop, 99.5 and heavy rock 101 "point" eat your dog and $%# your mother! It's ridiculous. Not only am I a vision to look at but consequentially I've formed a split driving personality.

Picture this:

Listening to 99.5 I look like Ben Stillers wife in Heartbreak Kid- he finally gets hitched to a blonde babe and whilst road-tripping to a romantic Hawaiian honeymoon, she sings NON-STOP with an imaginative bugle in hand!(Yeah, that'd be me!)

Contrastingly so, like a needle to an obese porcupine, the moment I switch over to 101 "point" eat your dog and %^%&^ your mother, I end up right up on my dashboard, ready to bang my head against the steering wheel- just like my friend Lindsay?!

As of recent it's best to call me your 'teen-bopping psychomatic, addict insane.' (Still love my Prodigy)

But here's to you... Dave Matthews, Colbie Calait, Ben Harper, my good 'ol drinking buddie Jackie Johnson and of course Mrs Robinson for that matter- please know I'll be seeing you soon and I apologise for my latest musical antics!

For my fellow musicians and all those who dig to know what's happening on the forefront, I created a list for you to check out. Let me know how similar the world in music really is- I'm intrigued to know!

So without further a-hippity-hop, here is a list of the top ten hits being played over and over and over and.... and.... you guessed it, OVER again!

Top Ten Hits (commercial pop/rock)

- California Gurls by Katy Perry
comment: I'll keeping sipping the gin and juice! Just beware for the annoying Jeep "hoot" in the song, I keep thinking somebody is up in my grill getting nasty.

- Airplanes by B.o.B
comment: yes yes I really could use a wish right now, a wish right now!

- Un- thinkable by Alicia Keys
comment: All the men in my life, except my Father, have truly proven to be 'Un-thinkable' species known to man-kind.

- Cuando Me Enamoro by Enrique Inglesias and Juan Luis Guerra
comment: makes me want to drink tequila, dance on a bar counter and be with my girls. Bless Enrique, even he too is a collaborating artist.

- Alejandro by Lady Gaga
comment: it's catchy and gets stuck in your head even when you reach your nightly bubble bath but other than that I have nothing more to say to this pantless creature who is taking over Oprah's space on the Forbes list.

- Break Your Heart by Taio Cruz
Chorus: "I'm only going to break break, break break break your heart."
comment: No Comment!

- Haven't Met You Yet by Michael Buble
Comment: My brother's favourite! Oath he would assasinate ol Bubble Boy if he could!

- Billionare by Travie Mccoy and Bruno Mars
Comment: blah blah blah, although I wouldn't mind smiling next to Oprah and the Queen.

- Omg by Usher/ Will.i.am
comment: I'd be digging this tune in a club :P

- Not Afraid by Eminem
comment: Even Eminem pulled his Sh^$* together so why can't Lindsay or Britney?

Give them a listen, tell me what you think and if you get sick of these tunes too and you're feeling like my friend Lindsay and I, let me know. If anything I'll go knock on Obama's door to confront this important head-banging matter- especially considering he lives 20 km's away!

Keep rocking with a splash of peace, love and Mac Donalds

xoxox

P.S True story: Lindsay's in jail thinking of how to "come-back and be Not Afraid" just like Eminem!

No comments:

Post a Comment